Sunday, August 24, 2014

EDM 310 - Mixed Emotions

I just recently began my education courses at South Alabama.  Before this semester the only teaching class I had taken was Math for Elementary School Teachers, now I am enrolled in four education classes.  It has been an overwhelming first week, to say the least.  I have been chatting with other students in my classes to see what they think about the classes I am taking, as well as the classes they are taking.  The more I talk to other teaching students, the better I feel about my courses.  "Just be organized" - that's what they keep telling me.  I have one planner and just ordered another; I have a huge problem with procrastinating and doing all my work at the last minute.  I definitely plan on breaking that terrible habit this semester.  Another thing that students have been telling me, is how much this class will help me in the classroom when I get there.  It's so wild to think about how much technology will be in my future classroom, I am so thankful for this course even though it makes me a little nervous.  I am really excited to learn how to learn with Dr. Strange, but I do have a number of fears.  I think I am most nervous about the amount of time that I will have to dedicate to EDM 310.  I know how obvious it is for, not just Dr. Strange, but the whole world to see how much effort I am putting into this course.  My favorite tip from everything I have read about the class is "Stay Positive".  I have been trying to do this more and more lately.  It is too easy to feel overwhelmed and fall behind, but if I can just stay positive and push through the rough patches I'm sure I will begin forming good habits that will help in this class and just life in general. This class is just so different from every other class I have taken at USA.  Although, I did have a class in high school that was similar.  We had to keep a blog and everything we learned we had to research ourselves.  I remember really enjoying setting up blog posts and finding cute pictures and adding my own flare to the topics.  I actually didn't capitalize any of my words in this blog (but I did follow all of the other grammar rules) and my teacher told me that I needed to in order to not get points taken off.  But I sacrificed the points in order to "be me." I don't plan on being that stubborn in this class.  However, I do plan on asking questions, reading the manuals, being attentive, and learn to learn!
http://swytla.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/family-emergency/

2 comments:

  1. Ellen, you are absolutely right when you say that you focus on the phrase "Stay Positive!" From talking to other in the class, I think most all of us felt overwhelmed at first, including me. I share all of these fears, but to me what makes them less overwhelming is the fact that we have a great team of lab assistants and Dr. Strange to help us throughout this whole semester. Thankfully, we are not just left alone to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capitals are required here. As an experienced blogger you have a head start in the Learning Race!

    Welcome to EDM310.

    ReplyDelete